Wednesday, July 22, 2009

High School Friends


I don't have a lot of close associations with people I knew in high school. I have a lot of 'friends' on facebook that are people I knew then, but for most of them I can barely remember a conversation. There's one I would like to track down, but have had no luck. One I found on a whim and one that I gave much thought to before re-establishing contact. Those are all from my days in Ansbach. Honestly I can't name 10 people from my senior class in Arkansas. The few people I spent time with were either older or younger than me. It's odd, but that's how it goes.

College - I can remember the names of lots of people. Only care about one and I'm in contact with her.

This comes to mind because I know a lot of people who really want to find people from their 'glory days'. Maybe that's what it is. I don't look back on high school as the best time of my life. I'm not a sentimental person to begin with and high school was pretty suckish for lots of reasons. I think that age is suckish for most kids. Movie like to pretend it's not, but most of my friends remember it as hard, awkward and difficult. Of course a lot of my friends are a bit outside of society's standard for normal. Being different as a teen can be difficult.

I do enjoy parts of the facebook reunion thing. Some people I didn't know very well in school have turned into very interesting people and I enjoy seeing what they are up to. I just don't get the same feelings of nostalgia when pictures are posted. I look at the faces and the memories do not come flooding back. Besides memories will fool you. What you remember may not be the whole truth.

One person from middle school I always wondered about. I wanted to know where he was but could never quite track him down. Then I found out that he tried to do some bad stuff to my little brother who was 6 or 7 at the time. Now I would prefer to run over him rather than into him.

To any old high school friends reading this - I'm sure you were the one I found on a whim and am thrilled to be in contact with. And if you're Susi Jordan - email me. I have been trying to get in touch with you.

1 comment:

Macey said...

Aw, this is a cool post! I did a couple on my love/hate relationship with Facebook. Most of the kids I went to school with are people I'd rather not talk to. But a lot of them are on my facebook, many more are my more current friends though. You can facebook me if you want!! ;)
I'll be yer friend. For reals.
And I'm a ginormous dork, so only if you dare... :)