Thursday, July 2, 2009

In other news....

Here are a few things that happened recently that DON'T REVOLVE AROUND MICHAEL JACKSON.

* India recently overturned a 148 year old law that criminalized gay sex. I don't know where people stand on it morally, but legally you can be gay in India now.

* North Korea fired two short range missiles. There is some fear in Japan and South Korea that N.Korea may be planning a long rage attack.

* Venus & Serena may make Wimbledon an all Williams final.

* Amnesty International has issued a report detailing Gaza war crimes.

* The gap between Aboriginal people and non-aboriginal people in Australia is growing.

* A two year old girl was strangled by her mom's boyfriend's pet python in Florida.

That all came from the front page of www.bbc.co.uk where they seem to have managed to have gotten back to non-Michael news. Lots of other stuff has happened in the world and I wish American media would talk more about that and less about Jackson.

I also hope they don't make Neverland into a shrine like Graceland. What is it with our need to make posthumous heroes out of men who were not such great role models in life? Are we going to get reports that MJ's death was faked and he's been seen in a mall in New Jersey? bleah

Karl Malden died. I didn't know much about him outside of his work. I'm starting to kinda like that in a celebrity. I liked his work and the rest of his life didn't really matter to me. I wish Brad & Angie would make me like them more. Or Miley Cyrus. Actually I don't care what they do. I wish the media would stop treating every little move made by a celebrity as breaking news. Talk more about missing kids (of ALL races) or corporations harming the environment. Maybe talk more about normal folk who manage to do good stuff in the course of every day life. I would rather hear about a paramedic who saved a life over what the Jonas Brothers had for dinner any day.

That means that we, the American public, have to STOP GIVING $$ TO THE PEOPLE WHO PUBLISH THIS CRAP. next time you see Kate & John on a cover - DON'T BUY IT. If we shrink the demand, the supply will shrink too. And I think a world with more focus on what matters will be a better world for the next generation.

No comments: