Friday, June 26, 2009

Obligatory Michael Jackson Post


When I heard that Michael Jackson died I had 3 thoughts.

1. Maybe he has the peace now that he never got in life.
2. What is going to happen to his kids?
3. There goes any sort of real news coverage for the next week.

Is it callous to say that I'm not going to miss him? I didn't know him personally and his life now seemed to be more about the freak show he had become than the music. I wasn't looking forward to buying a new cd or anticipating anything he had planned. I can and still do listen to his music from the past, but the present MJ kinda weirded me out.

I think a whole lot of the mourning is not mourning the man, but rather bemoaning a visible end to many people's youth. His death is a mirror that reminds people that they are not any more immortal than those the idolized in their youth. A woman on the radio today said that she's sad that her kids are never going to know Michael Jackson. Of course they can. I know the music of a whole lot of folks who died before I was born or when I was very young. She talked about how important he was when she was a teen. Again, it's not missing the man, but missing what she associated with him. Her kids can know Michael Jackson. They can know his music and not have to know about the trials, surgeries or general oddness that surrounded him.

All that being said. My heart goes out to the people who did really know him. His family and friends. I wish them comfort in this time of grief.

1 comment:

Macey said...

Great post! Seriously? I'm not gonna miss the dude. Didn't know him. He seemed weird. Aren't we all to some degree though?
Anyway, I feel for his family, his kids in particular. And I know that he was an icon, he helped make music what it is today. And I still like some of those early songs. Early as in 80's, not the whole ABC123 stuff. : )
Did you hear today that Billy Mays died?! That's a shocker too.
Macey