Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No more babies

I've known for awhile that I won't be having any more babies.  I've had 4, that's plenty.  Still the other day I had one of those rare moments where I want a baby.  They are fleeting and I don't really want a baby.  I think at those times I am mostly missing the fun parts of having a baby.  All the cute things you buy for them and sharing with moms of other babies.  I also have to admit that it was easier when the kids were babies.  Love, food and clean diapers is enough for babies.    So sometimes I get jealous of people who are expecting or have young kids.  Not very jealous and it never lasts long.  I'll probably be a grandmother within the decade, so I'll get to do all the fun baby things again without all the baby headaches. 

A friend once asked me how you knew when you were done having kids.  She was on the fence about having another one.  All I could tell her is that if you don't know, then you're not done.  I think I realized that I was done when I saw a new baby and didn't feel the urge to go "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww".    My oldest is just reaching the point where she does that to new babies.  I guess the wheel turns and she's moving into that phase as I move out of it.  (still not my mother, she's on a whole other wheel)  Another way to know you're done is when you say things like "they don't stay babies, they turn into teenagers".  People usually say that about puppies and kittens.   When you start equating babies with kittens and puppies, you're probably past the point where you want any.


No comments: