Friday, January 23, 2009

unfollow

I like twitter.  Even when I'm not adding to it, I will watch the tweets go by because there is some interesting stuff out there.

I'm not such a fan of 'social media gurus' or whatever they are calling themselves.  There are a few in my following list - when I added them I was either
1.  just return following everyone or 
2.  interested in something they were talking about at the time.

Today I have been unfollowing everyone who wastes my time with social media 'how to's, ads for ways to make $$ or messages saying hello to their new followers.  I like twitter for the social aspect of it, not the captive audience advertising that seems to be rampant.

I also thought my avatar on twitter would get rid of some of the more fundamentalist types that started to follow me.  I wanted to discourage them before I had to block them.  Nope, just convinced more to follow.  I don't follow back, but can not for the life of me figure out why they are following me.  I have an adult balloon as my avatar - censored, but still adult.  

to be fair, I'm sure lots of folks have unfollowed me after some of my more inane posts - but that's ok.  we each take what we want out of this experience.  I would rather know that May is drinking coffee and listening to music than a new tip on using social media to it's fullest.  If I was going to use social media to it's fullest I would take May's tweet and tell her to buy coffee from coffeefool.com.  Of course I would have signed up for some sort of associate program first and made some $$ off of the deal.  Seems like a lot of work.   I'm a balloon artist as part of my master plan to avoid lots of work.  :-)

one last thing

I don't know if they have an associate program or not.  If they do, I'm not signed up for it, but banana nut coffee from Coffeefool.com is freaking awesome. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgood.

1 comment:

May said...

I'm the same way! I HATE when people are all pretentious social-markety about using Twitter. It's so boring. I like that Twitter is a random casual community builder. That's nifty.

Also, I guess I'll have to check out that coffee link, huh?